Can I get my felony reduced to a misdemeanor?

You may be able to have your most recent case, and any earlier cases, changed from felonies to misdemeanors if you were convicted of the following charges:

    •    Commercial Burglary of a Store During                  Regular Business Hours (PC § 459)

    •    Forgery (PC § 473)

    •    Fraud/Bad Checks (PC § 476a)

    •    Grand Theft (PC § 487)

    •    Petty Theft/Shoplifting (PC §§ 484/666)

    •    Possession of Methamphetamine                            (HS § 11377)

    •    Possession of Cocaine or Heroin                             (HS § 11350)

    •    Possession of Concentrated Cannabis                   (HS § 11357(a)) 

    •     Receiving Stolen Property (PC § 496)

    •    Shoplifting (PC § 484/666)


For theft charges to be reduced, the amount stolen must have been less than $950. 


Also, the court will not change your charges from felonies to misdemeanors if you have certain strike priors, or if you are required to register pursuant to Penal Code section 290(c).